Support LPSNLPSN content is freely available to all, but takes considerable time, effort and expense to run. If you find LPSN useful, please support it at any level that you can - $10, $20, $50, $100, $1000... any amount will be greatly appreciated.
7 March 2018 - Names in Validation List no. 176 from the July 2017 issue of IJSEM (67/7) were added to LPSN.
28 February 2018 - Names in IJSEM 67/8 (August 2017) have been added to LPSN. The following new files were added: Andreesenia gen. nov., Bacteriovoracales ord. nov., Chengkuizengella gen. nov., Cumulibacter gen. nov., Daejeonia gen. nov., Desulfocucumis gen. nov., Dictyobacter gen. nov., Gottschalkia comb. nov., Gottschalkiaceae fam. nov., Micrococcoides gen. nov., Mongoliimonas gen. nov., Natronogen.ra gen. nov., Notoacmeibacter gen. nov., Notoacmeibacteraceae fam. nov., Paraphaeobacter gen. nov., Silvanigrella gen. nov., Silvanigrellaceae fam. nov. and Silvanigrellales ord. nov.
31 January 2018 - Names in IJSEM 67/7 (July 2017) have been added to LPSN. The following genus files were added: Cysteiniphilum, Galliscardovia, Merdimonas and Puzihella.
29 January 2018 - Names in IJSEM 67/6 (June 2017) have been added to LPSN. The following new files were added: Imhoffiella gen. nov., Mangrovihabitans gen. nov., Marinisporobacter gen. nov., Paracandidimonas gen. nov., Rodentibacter gen. nov., Salibacter gen. nov., Salinovum gen. nov. and Sulfodiicoccus gen. nov.
19 January 2018 - Links to type strains in the Japan Collection of Microorganisms (JCM) and Korea Collection for Type Cultures (KCTC) online catalogs were added to LPSN.
How to cite LPSN
- Parte, A.C. (2013). LPSN — list of prokaryotic names with standing in nomenclature. Nucleic Acids Research, 42, Issue D1, D613–D616; doi: 10.1093/nar/gkt1111
- Euzéby, J.P. (1997). List of Bacterial Names with Standing in Nomenclature: a Folder Available on the Internet. International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology 47, 590-592; doi: 10.1099/00207713-47-2-590
Taxonomic categories and changes covered by the Rules of the Code
- Genera and suprageneric taxa: List A-C - List D-L - List M-R - List S-Z
- Suprageneric taxa - Nomenclatural types of suprageneric taxa
- All genera
- Approved Lists of Bacterial Names
- Click here to find all Validation Lists in IJSB/IJSEM Online
- NEW! Click here to find all Notification Lists in IJSB/IJSEM Online
Taxonomic categories and changes not covered by the Rules of the Code
- List A-C List D-L List M-R List S-Z
- Taxa above the rank of class
- Some prokaryotic names without standing in nomenclature
- Lists of Changes in Taxonomic Opinion
- Endangered prokaryotic names (J.P. Euzéby & B.J. Tindall)
All names cited in the List of Prokaryotic names with Standing in Nomenclature
- Classification of domains and phyla - Hierarchical classification of prokaryotes
- Classification of Cyanobacteria
- Definitions and abbreviations
- Alterations to the Bacteriological Code (1990 Revision)
- Genders of generic names - Three-letter code for abbreviations of generic names - Genera named after personal names - Genera named after geographical names - Genera named after mythological figures - Genera named after institutions
- Latin and neo-Latin adjectives or participial adjectives used as specific or subspecific epithets (J.P. Euzéby & B.J. Tindall)
- Requests for Opinions and Judicial Opinions
- Conserved names of prokaryotic taxa - Rejected names of prokaryotic taxa
- Minimal standards for the description of new taxa
- Salmonella nomenclature
- Longest and shortest prokaryotic names
Some papers about nomenclature
- H.G. Trüper: Help! Latin! How to avoid the most common mistakes while giving Latin names to newly discovered prokaryotes
- R.E. Buchanan: Chemical terminology and microbiological nomenclature
- B.J. Tindall: Misunderstanding the Bacteriological Code
- J.P. Euzéby & B.J. Tindall: Valid publication of new names or new combinations: making use of the Validation Lists
- P.H.A. Sneath & Don J. Brenner: "Official" Nomenclature Lists
Papers freely available in IJSEM Online (full text in HTML format)