Sponsor announcement - Bergey’s Manual of Systematics of Archaea and Bacteria (BMSAB)
Bergey’s Manual Trust and John Wiley & Sons, Inc., are pleased to announce a new partnership to produce an online encyclopedia entitled Bergey’s Manual of Systematics of Archaea and Bacteria (BMSAB), which will provide up-to-date descriptions of the taxonomy, systematics, ecology, physiology and other biological properties of all named prokaryotic taxa. Click here for more details.
5 May 2015 - The names published in the January 2015 Validation List, no. 161, have been added to LPSN.
24 March 2015 - The names published in the January issue of IJSEM have been added to LPSN; Validation List entries to be added shortly.
6 March 2015 - The names published in the December issue of IJSEM have been added to LPSN.
12 February 2015 - The names published in the November issue of IJSEM including Validation List no. 160 have been added to LPSN.
Taxonomic categories and changes covered by the Rules of the Code
- Genera and suprageneric taxa: List A-C - List D-L - List M-R - List S-Z
- Suprageneric taxa - Nomenclatural types of suprageneric taxa
- All genera
- Approved Lists of Bacterial Names
- Names validly published by announcement in Validation Lists
Taxonomic categories and changes not covered by the Rules of the Code
- Taxa above the rank of class
- Some prokaryotic names without standing in nomenclature
- Lists of Changes in Taxonomic Opinion
- Endangered prokaryotic names (J.P. Euzéby & B.J. Tindall)
All names cited in the List of Prokaryotic names with Standing in Nomenclature
- Classification of domains and phyla - Hierarchical classification of prokaryotes
- Classification of genera: List A-C List D-L List M-R List S-Z - List of genera included in families - List of genera included in suborders - List of genera included in orders
- Classification of families - List of families included in suborders - List of family included in orders
- Classification of Cyanobacteria
- Definitions and abbreviations
- Alterations to the Bacteriological Code (1990 Revision)
- Genders of generic names - Three-letter code for abbreviations of generic names - Genera named after personal names - Genera named after geographical names - Genera named after mythological figures - Genera named after institutions
- Latin and neo-Latin adjectives or participial adjectives used as specific or subspecific epithets (J.P. Euzéby & B.J. Tindall)
- Requests for Opinions and Judicial Opinions
- Conserved names of prokaryotic taxa - Rejected names of prokaryotic taxa
- Minimal standards for the description of new taxa
- Salmonella nomenclature
- Longest and shortest prokaryotic names
Some papers about nomenclature
- H.G. Trüper: Help! Latin! How to avoid the most common mistakes while giving Latin names to newly discovered prokaryotes
- R.E. Buchanan: Chemical terminology and microbiological nomenclature
- B.J. Tindall: Misunderstanding the Bacteriological Code
- J.P. Euzéby & B.J. Tindall: Valid publication of new names or new combinations: making use of the Validation Lists
- P.H.A. Sneath & Don J. Brenner: "Official" Nomenclature Lists
Papers freely available in IJSEM Online (full text in HTML format)