Sponsor announcement - Bergey’s Manual of Systematics of Archaea and Bacteria (BMSAB)
Bergey’s Manual Trust and John Wiley & Sons, Inc., are pleased to announce a new partnership to produce an online encyclopedia entitled Bergey’s Manual of Systematics of Archaea and Bacteria (BMSAB), which will provide up-to-date descriptions of the taxonomy, systematics, ecology, physiology and other biological properties of all named prokaryotic taxa. Click here for more details.
8 April 2014 - New names published in the April issue of IJSEM have been added to LPSN.
3 April 2014 - March update completed for papers in IJSEM and in Validation List no. 156.
21-28 February 2014 - Validation List no. 155 entries added. Whole-genome sequence accession numbers are being added to species entries when available.
2 January 2014 - an article that I wrote about LPSN has been published in the 2014 Database Issue of Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 42, issue D1, pp. D613-D616. It may be used in addition to Euzéby (1997) when citing LPSN.
Taxonomic categories and changes covered by the Rules of the Code
- Genera and suprageneric taxa: List A-C - List D-L - List M-R - List S-Z
- Suprageneric taxa - Nomenclatural types of suprageneric taxa
- All genera
- Approved Lists of Bacterial Names
- Names validly published by announcement in Validation Lists
Taxonomic categories and changes not covered by the Rules of the Code
- Taxa above the rank of class
- Some prokaryotic names without standing in nomenclature
- Lists of Changes in Taxonomic Opinion
- Endangered prokaryotic names (J.P. Euzéby & B.J. Tindall)
All names cited in the List of Prokaryotic names with Standing in Nomenclature
- Classification of domains and phyla - Hierarchical classification of prokaryotes
- Classification of genera: List A-C List D-L List M-R List S-Z - List of genera included in families - List of genera included in suborders - List of genera included in orders
- Classification of families - List of families included in suborders - List of family included in orders
- Classification of Cyanobacteria
- Definitions and abbreviations
- Alterations to the Bacteriological Code (1990 Revision)
- Genders of generic names - Three-letter code for abbreviations of generic names - Genera named after personal names - Genera named after geographical names - Genera named after mythological figures - Genera named after institutions
- Latin and neo-Latin adjectives or participial adjectives used as specific or subspecific epithets (J.P. Euzéby & B.J. Tindall)
- Requests for Opinions and Judicial Opinions
- Conserved names of prokaryotic taxa - Rejected names of prokaryotic taxa
- Minimal standards for the description of new taxa
- Salmonella nomenclature
- Longest and shortest prokaryotic names
Some papers about nomenclature
- H.G. Trüper: Help! Latin! How to avoid the most common mistakes while giving Latin names to newly discovered prokaryotes
- R.E. Buchanan: Chemical terminology and microbiological nomenclature
- B.J. Tindall: Misunderstanding the Bacteriological Code
- J.P. Euzéby & B.J. Tindall: Valid publication of new names or new combinations: making use of the Validation Lists
- P.H.A. Sneath & Don J. Brenner: "Official" Nomenclature Lists
Papers freely available in IJSEM Online (full text in HTML format)