Sponsor announcement - Bergey’s Manual of Systematics of Archaea and Bacteria (BMSAB)
Bergey’s Manual Trust and John Wiley & Sons, Inc., are pleased to announce a new partnership to produce an online encyclopedia entitled Bergey’s Manual of Systematics of Archaea and Bacteria (BMSAB), which will provide up-to-date descriptions of the taxonomy, systematics, ecology, physiology and other biological properties of all named prokaryotic taxa. Click here for more details.
22 September 2014 - New names published in the July Validation List, no. 158, have been added to LPSN. New names originally published in the August issue of IJSEM to be added shortly.
17 September 2014 - New names originally published in the July issue of IJSEM have been added to LPSN; Validation List entries to follow shortly.
18 June 2014 - Chart of a year's worth of validly named taxa from IJSEM (original and validations) - a total of 928 species/subspecies.
17 June 2014 - New names published in the June issue of IJSEM have been added to LPSN.
2 January 2014 - an article that I wrote about LPSN has been published in the 2014 Database Issue of Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 42, issue D1, pp. D613-D616. It may be used in addition to Euzéby (1997) when citing LPSN.
Taxonomic categories and changes covered by the Rules of the Code
- Genera and suprageneric taxa: List A-C - List D-L - List M-R - List S-Z
- Suprageneric taxa - Nomenclatural types of suprageneric taxa
- All genera
- Approved Lists of Bacterial Names
- Names validly published by announcement in Validation Lists
Taxonomic categories and changes not covered by the Rules of the Code
- Taxa above the rank of class
- Some prokaryotic names without standing in nomenclature
- Lists of Changes in Taxonomic Opinion
- Endangered prokaryotic names (J.P. Euzéby & B.J. Tindall)
All names cited in the List of Prokaryotic names with Standing in Nomenclature
- Classification of domains and phyla - Hierarchical classification of prokaryotes
- Classification of genera: List A-C List D-L List M-R List S-Z - List of genera included in families - List of genera included in suborders - List of genera included in orders
- Classification of families - List of families included in suborders - List of family included in orders
- Classification of Cyanobacteria
- Definitions and abbreviations
- Alterations to the Bacteriological Code (1990 Revision)
- Genders of generic names - Three-letter code for abbreviations of generic names - Genera named after personal names - Genera named after geographical names - Genera named after mythological figures - Genera named after institutions
- Latin and neo-Latin adjectives or participial adjectives used as specific or subspecific epithets (J.P. Euzéby & B.J. Tindall)
- Requests for Opinions and Judicial Opinions
- Conserved names of prokaryotic taxa - Rejected names of prokaryotic taxa
- Minimal standards for the description of new taxa
- Salmonella nomenclature
- Longest and shortest prokaryotic names
Some papers about nomenclature
- H.G. Trüper: Help! Latin! How to avoid the most common mistakes while giving Latin names to newly discovered prokaryotes
- R.E. Buchanan: Chemical terminology and microbiological nomenclature
- B.J. Tindall: Misunderstanding the Bacteriological Code
- J.P. Euzéby & B.J. Tindall: Valid publication of new names or new combinations: making use of the Validation Lists
- P.H.A. Sneath & Don J. Brenner: "Official" Nomenclature Lists
Papers freely available in IJSEM Online (full text in HTML format)