The Bergey Medal
The Bergey Medal is awarded in recognition of outstanding and life-long contributions to the field of systematics of Bacteria and Archaea. Nominations may be submitted at any time to the Bergey's editorial office at b...@uga.edu. Nominations should include a cover letter summarizing the candidate's qualifications, the significance of contributions to the systematics of prokaryotes, and their curriculum vitae.
Bergey’s Manual of Systematics of Archaea and Bacteria now available
Bergey’s Manual Trust and John Wiley & Sons, Inc., are pleased to announce the release of its new online encyclopedia entitled Bergey’s Manual of Systematics of Archaea and Bacteria (BMSAB). This electronic work will provide up-to-date descriptions of the taxonomy, systematics, ecology, physiology and other biological properties of all named prokaryotic taxa. BMSAB is available via Wiley Online Library, which hosts over 1,500 journals and over 14,000 online books across the sciences and humanities. Individual volumes of BMSAB will also be made available in e-book format. [more...]
Support LPSNLPSN is a valuable resource for anyone with an interest in prokaryotic nomenclature. LPSN content is freely available to all, but takes considerable time, effort and expense to run. If you find LPSN useful, please support it at any level that you can - $10, $20, $50, $100, $1000... any amount will be greatly appreciated.
22 June 2016 - The names published in the January 2016 Validation List, no. 167, have been added to LPSN.
17 June 2016 - The names published in the November 2015 Validation List, no. 166, have been added to LPSN.
9 May 2016 - The names in the January 2016 issue of IJSEM have been added to LPSN; November and December 2015 will follow as soon as possible.
3 May 2016 - The names in the October 2015 issue of IJSEM have been added to LPSN.
15 April 2016 - The names published in the September 2015 Validation List, no. 165, have been added to LPSN; the names in the October issue will follow shortly.
10 March 2016 - Today LPSN hit 1,000,000 page views since 18 June 2015!
LPSN statistics for January 2016 - 110,570 page views.
Key: Green, page views; blue, unique visits; orange, returning visits.
4 February 2016 - The names published in the July 2015 Validation List, no. 164, have been added to LPSN.
24 November 2015 - Names beginning with S-Z published in the July-September 2015 issues of IJSEM have been added to LPSN. The names in the validation lists will be added in due course.
Taxonomic categories and changes covered by the Rules of the Code
- Genera and suprageneric taxa: List A-C - List D-L - List M-R - List S-Z
- Suprageneric taxa - Nomenclatural types of suprageneric taxa
- All genera
- Approved Lists of Bacterial Names
- Names validly published by announcement in Validation Lists
Taxonomic categories and changes not covered by the Rules of the Code
- List A-C List D-L List M-R List S-Z - List of genera included in families
- Taxa above the rank of class
- Some prokaryotic names without standing in nomenclature
- Lists of Changes in Taxonomic Opinion
- Endangered prokaryotic names (J.P. Euzéby & B.J. Tindall)
All names cited in the List of Prokaryotic names with Standing in Nomenclature
- Classification of domains and phyla - Hierarchical classification of prokaryotes
- Classification of genera: List A-C List D-L List M-R List S-Z - List of genera included in families - List of genera included in suborders - List of genera included in orders
- Classification of families - List of families included in suborders - List of families included in orders
- Classification of Cyanobacteria
- Definitions and abbreviations
- Alterations to the Bacteriological Code (1990 Revision)
- Genders of generic names - Three-letter code for abbreviations of generic names - Genera named after personal names - Genera named after geographical names - Genera named after mythological figures - Genera named after institutions
- Latin and neo-Latin adjectives or participial adjectives used as specific or subspecific epithets (J.P. Euzéby & B.J. Tindall)
- Requests for Opinions and Judicial Opinions
- Conserved names of prokaryotic taxa - Rejected names of prokaryotic taxa
- Minimal standards for the description of new taxa
- Salmonella nomenclature
- Longest and shortest prokaryotic names
Some papers about nomenclature
- H.G. Trüper: Help! Latin! How to avoid the most common mistakes while giving Latin names to newly discovered prokaryotes
- R.E. Buchanan: Chemical terminology and microbiological nomenclature
- B.J. Tindall: Misunderstanding the Bacteriological Code
- J.P. Euzéby & B.J. Tindall: Valid publication of new names or new combinations: making use of the Validation Lists
- P.H.A. Sneath & Don J. Brenner: "Official" Nomenclature Lists
Papers freely available in IJSEM Online (full text in HTML format)