Support LPSNLPSN content is freely available to all, but takes considerable time, effort and expense to run. If you find LPSN useful, please support it at any level that you can - $10, $20, $50, $100, $1000... any amount will be greatly appreciated.
5 October 2017 - Names in Validation Lists 173 (IJSEM 67/1) have been added to LPSN; a link to all the Validation Lists in IJSEM Online is now given below.
25 August 2017 - The names published in the February 2017 issue (67/2) of IJSEM have been added to LPSN.
9 July 2017 - The names published in the January 2017 issue (67/1) of IJSEM have been added to LPSN.
14 June 2017 - the names in Validation Lists 171 (IJSEM 66/9) and 172 (66/11) have been added to LPSN - this completes the 2016 updates.
17 May 2017 - Names beginning with M-Z published in the September-December 2016 issues of IJSEM (volume 66, parts 9-12) have been added to LPSN; names in the Validation List 171 will be added shortly.
5 May 2017 - Names beginning with A-L published in the September-December 2016 issues of IJSEM (volume 66, parts 9-12) have been added to LPSN; names beginning with M-Z and those in the validation lists will be added in due course.
6 January 2017 - Links have been added from LPSN taxa files to 1666 corresponding articles in Bergey's Manual of Systematics of Archaea and Bacteria.
13 October 2016 - All links to the classification pages such as Classification of families and Lists of genera included in families now point to the up-to-date classfication of domains and phyla page.
2 October 2016 - LPSN is pleased to announce a new co-operation with bioinformatics company Ribocon (www.ribocon.com). Ribocon is a provider of DNA analysis for species identification and community profiling, with emphasis on digital management of taxonomic information and partner of the ribosomal genes database SILVA (www.arb-silva.de). Ribocon will be supporting LPSN by means of optimizing the database infrastructure and applying extra quality control procedures to improve system sustainability over time.
The classfication of domains and phyla page has been thoroughly updated in collaboration with Pablo Yarza from Ribocon.
Taxonomic categories and changes covered by the Rules of the Code
- Genera and suprageneric taxa: List A-C - List D-L - List M-R - List S-Z
- Suprageneric taxa - Nomenclatural types of suprageneric taxa
- All genera
- Approved Lists of Bacterial Names
- NEW! Click here to find all Validation Lists in IJSB/IJSEM Online
Taxonomic categories and changes not covered by the Rules of the Code
- List A-C List D-L List M-R List S-Z
- Taxa above the rank of class
- Some prokaryotic names without standing in nomenclature
- Lists of Changes in Taxonomic Opinion
- Endangered prokaryotic names (J.P. Euzéby & B.J. Tindall)
All names cited in the List of Prokaryotic names with Standing in Nomenclature
- Classification of domains and phyla - Hierarchical classification of prokaryotes
- Classification of Cyanobacteria
- Definitions and abbreviations
- Alterations to the Bacteriological Code (1990 Revision)
- Genders of generic names - Three-letter code for abbreviations of generic names - Genera named after personal names - Genera named after geographical names - Genera named after mythological figures - Genera named after institutions
- Latin and neo-Latin adjectives or participial adjectives used as specific or subspecific epithets (J.P. Euzéby & B.J. Tindall)
- Requests for Opinions and Judicial Opinions
- Conserved names of prokaryotic taxa - Rejected names of prokaryotic taxa
- Minimal standards for the description of new taxa
- Salmonella nomenclature
- Longest and shortest prokaryotic names
Some papers about nomenclature
- H.G. Trüper: Help! Latin! How to avoid the most common mistakes while giving Latin names to newly discovered prokaryotes
- R.E. Buchanan: Chemical terminology and microbiological nomenclature
- B.J. Tindall: Misunderstanding the Bacteriological Code
- J.P. Euzéby & B.J. Tindall: Valid publication of new names or new combinations: making use of the Validation Lists
- P.H.A. Sneath & Don J. Brenner: "Official" Nomenclature Lists
Papers freely available in IJSEM Online (full text in HTML format)