Support LPSNLPSN content is freely available to all, but takes considerable time, effort and expense to run. If you find LPSN useful, please support it at any level that you can - $20, $30, $50, $100, $1000... any amount will be greatly appreciated.
LPSN NewsFollow @LPSN10
30 July 2018 - Names in the July 2018 issue of IJSEM (68/7) have been added to LPSN.
27 June 2018 - Names in Validation List no. 181 from the May 2018 issue of IJSEM (68/5) were added to LPSN.
24 June 2018 - Names in the June 2018 issue of IJSEM (68/6) have been added to LPSN.
13 June 2018 - Names in the May 2018 issue of IJSEM (68/5) have been added to LPSN.
5 June 2018 - Names in the April 2018 issue of IJSEM (68/4) have been added to LPSN.
How to cite LPSN
- Parte, A.C. (2018). LPSN – List of Prokaryotic names with Standing in Nomenclature (bacterio.net), 20 years on. International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology, 68, 1825-1829; doi: 10.1099/ijsem.0.002786
- Parte, A.C. (2013). LPSN — list of prokaryotic names with standing in nomenclature. Nucleic Acids Research, 42, Issue D1, D613–D616; doi: 10.1093/nar/gkt1111
- Euzéby, J.P. (1997). List of Bacterial Names with Standing in Nomenclature: a Folder Available on the Internet. International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology 47, 590-592; doi: 10.1099/00207713-47-2-590
Taxonomic categories and changes covered by the Rules of the Code
- Genera and suprageneric taxa: List A-C - List D-L - List M-R - List S-Z
- Suprageneric taxa - Nomenclatural types of suprageneric taxa
- All genera
- Approved Lists of Bacterial Names
- Click here to find all Validation Lists in IJSB/IJSEM Online
- NEW! Click here to find all Notification Lists in IJSB/IJSEM Online
Taxonomic categories and changes not covered by the Rules of the Code
- List A-C List D-L List M-R List S-Z
- Taxa above the rank of class
- Some prokaryotic names without standing in nomenclature
- Lists of Changes in Taxonomic Opinion
- Endangered prokaryotic names (J.P. Euzéby & B.J. Tindall)
All names cited in the List of Prokaryotic names with Standing in Nomenclature
- Classification of domains and phyla - Hierarchical classification of prokaryotes
- Classification of Cyanobacteria
- Definitions and abbreviations
- Alterations to the Bacteriological Code (1990 Revision)
- Genders of generic names - Three-letter code for abbreviations of generic names - Genera named after personal names - Genera named after geographical names - Genera named after mythological figures - Genera named after institutions
- Latin and neo-Latin adjectives or participial adjectives used as specific or subspecific epithets (J.P. Euzéby & B.J. Tindall)
- Requests for Opinions and Judicial Opinions
- Conserved names of prokaryotic taxa - Rejected names of prokaryotic taxa
- Minimal standards for the description of new taxa
- Salmonella nomenclature
- Longest and shortest prokaryotic names
Some papers about nomenclature
- H.G. Trüper: Help! Latin! How to avoid the most common mistakes while giving Latin names to newly discovered prokaryotes
- R.E. Buchanan: Chemical terminology and microbiological nomenclature
- B.J. Tindall: Misunderstanding the Bacteriological Code
- J.P. Euzéby & B.J. Tindall: Valid publication of new names or new combinations: making use of the Validation Lists
- P.H.A. Sneath & Don J. Brenner: "Official" Nomenclature Lists
Papers freely available in IJSEM Online (full text in HTML format)